Tuesday, Nov 06, 2018
1:00 pm ET | 12:00 pm CT |11:00 am MT | 10:00 am PT
Duration : 60 Minutes
"You will learn about many of the needs for reasonable accommodations. One of the primary requests are for assistance animals. We will discuss what the requirements are, what animals are allowed and how a landlord is to verify the need for such animals."
Reasonable accommodation is one of fair housing’s “hot topics”. This typically accounts for over 50% of the fair housing complaints to HUD in the past year. Reasonable accommodations can be requested during the application process, during tenancy and during an eviction. It is important to learn the correct procedure to ask for, review and implement this important action. Reasonable accommodations are requested because of a disability of either physical or mental issues. It is important that one understand the definition of disability and when it come into play to allow a disabled person to enjoy the same quality of life as an non-disabled individual.
This program will provide answers to these important questions:
- Definition of reasonable accommodation
- Definition of disability
- When an accommodation is needed
- Deference between an accommodation and modification
- Understanding of companion animal/ service animal issues
- Understanding what is “reasonable”
You will be able to:
- Understand fair housing issues and how they impact your property
- Understand the need for accommodations
- Understand the fair housing laws about accommodations
- Know timeframe for requesting and granting of accommodations
- What properties fall under fair housing/ accommodation laws
- All of these problems are a daily occurrence at most properties.
- This seminar will give you fresh ideas to deal with the issues and the residents involved.
- You will learn to not run afoul of fair housing issues when dealing with these situations.
Who Should Attend:
- Property Owners
- Property Managers
- Housing Authority Staff
- Compliance Staff
- Maintenance Staff
Ask a question at the Q & A session following the live event and get advice pertaining to your situation, straight from our expert speaker.