Wednesday, Apr 26, 2017
Any Time on Webinar Date
Duration : 60 Minutes
This webinar discusses the genesis of RFIs and their development. The webinar discusses the impact of RFIs on construction projects, drawing upon data provided by ACONEX and other studies to assess how RFIs and the RFI processes impact both small large scale construction projects. The webinar addresses the abuse of the RFI process examining how some contractors misuse RFIs to increase profitability, a practice that has become somewhat institutionalized in the past decade. The webinar discusses a claim case study involving a laboratory building at wastewater treatment facility to illustrate how the process can be abused and examines the legal arguments for cumulative impact as a result of a large quantity of RFIs. The webinar explains how owners inadvertently contribute to the abuse of RFIs by failing to adopt practices that may contractually safeguard against the potential negative impacts of the RFI process. The webinar sets forth a framework for reducing the impact of RFIs that consists of three principal recommendations: the incorporation of critical definitions and an RFI control specification; electronic RFI tracking and monitoring RFIs; and sets forth best management practices concerning RFIs that owners and contractors can adopt and implement for managing the RFI process.
- Learn how the RFI process came about and is intended to be used in the construction industry.
- Better understand the impact of RFIs on construction projects based on data from approximately 1,400 projects including the average time and cost to review and respond to an RFI.
- Gain an understanding of how the RFI process can be abused.
- Be exposed to legal decisions concerning how the number of RFIs on projects has been used to prove delay and cumulative impact claims.
- Understand what definitions should be included in construction projects to help lessen the impact of RFIs.
- Examine a proposed RFI specification which may be included in contracts to mitigate the impact of RFIs.
- Understand how electronic tracking and monitoring of RFIs will help further mitigate the adverse impact of RFIs on projects.
- Finally, learn about the best management practices concerning the management of RFIs.
Benefits of the Webinar:
- Learn about how the RFI process can be abused and used as the basis of claims.
- Learn how to mitigate the adverse impact of RFIs through contractual mechanisms.
- Understand the value of an electronic RFI tracking and monitoring system.
- Understand the best management practices concerning RFIs and the RFI process.
After attending this webinar you will have a better understanding of the issues, risks and challenges concerning RFIs on construction projects. Attendees will also be exposed to a method for controlling the risks posed by RFIs and a system for managing RFIs.
Who will Benefit:
- Attorneys dealing with construction delays and cumulative impact claims.
- Owners and owner representatives managing capital improvement projects.
- Contractor executives, project managers, project sponsors and project control personnel.
- Construction managers and design professionals performing services during construction.